Forum

Helping others, engage in discussions, share your experiences and knowledge with other users.

TonyC

Hole in a floor

TonyC 2016-04-18 12:59:37

I'm opening this new thread to share a technical support case.

Question:
How can I insert a hole in a ceiling? I tried inserting the Hole object but it doesn't seem to work. How do I do that?

Answer:
The hole object can only be inserted on two-dimensional structural elements, such as walls, slabs, foundation slabs, etc.
The floor, however, is not a structural element, but rather an object that transfers loads to other load supporting structural elements.
Therefore, to model a hole in a floor slab, you need to add some edge beams that go around the hole perimeter which must then connect up to the structural elements that surround the slab (use the same constructive measures that are adopted practically).

Here are a series of images showing the possible modelling of a hole on a slab.

Case 1: Hole to the side of a floor (See figure: Case 1).
In this case you can use an edge beam parallel to the floor slab to delimit the hole.

Case 2: L-shaped Hole (See figure: Case 2).
In this case it's advisable to insert a beam parallel to the floor (to mark the hole) and then insert a balcony covering the remaining part not occupied by the hole.

Case 3: Hole within the floor (See figure: Case 3).
In this case it is advisable to draw two beams parallel to the floor to mark one side of the hole and two beams or edge beams perpendicular to the spanning direction to delimit the other hole size.

Case 4: A hole that is partially internal and partly on the Side (See figure: Case 4).
The hole can be drawn in a similar manner to the previous case.