Forum

Helping others, engage in discussions, share your experiences and knowledge with other users.

TonyC

Representation scale when importing CAD drawings in DWG/DXF file format

TonyC 2016-01-27 12:24:01

Here's another interesting Technical Support case that I wanted to share

QUESTION
I need to import a previously prepared CAD drawing to start modelling my structure. What drawing scale should I choose before importing?

ANSWER
The reference unit of measurement in EdiLus is the Meter. All distances and measurements are expressed in meters.

If your DXF/DWG area plan has been drawn using the same scale, upon import, simply type in "1" in the scale factor field. (default value)
If on the other hand your drawing was prepared in a different scale, well in that case, you'll need to type in the appropriate scale factor according to the scale used in your DXF/DWG CAD drawing.

This is a list of the most common drawing scale settings and their relating scale factor values to type in when prompted Drawing Scale Factors:

A) in the DXF/DWG CAD drawing 1 m = 1 CAD unit -> Scale Factor = 1
(as if your drawing was prepared in "metres")
B) in the DXF/DWG CAD drawing 1 cm = 1 CAD unit -> Scale Factor = 0.01
(as if your drawing was prepared in "centimetres")
C) in the DXF/DWG CAD drawing 1 mm = 1 CAD unit -> Scale Factor = 0.001
(as if your drawing was prepared in "millimetres")

NOTA
If you have imported your drawing using the wrong Scale Factor, you can either:
- delete the imported CAD drawing and repeat the import process introducing the correct scale factor value;
- select the drawing and insert the correct dwg/dxf scale factor value in the properties toolbox to the right hand side of the program interface.